What is a Photo Rejuvenation treatment?
Photorejuvenation is the term used to describe an IPL treatment which delivers a broad spectrum of light onto the surface of your skin. This light penetrates the tissue and damages the pigmented regions of your skin. The body’s natural response is to remove the injured tissue giving your skin a more even tone and texture.
IPL skin care treatments are typically conducted in series of appointments, at four week intervals. You will notice a difference in your skin after only few sessions. If you’ve been looking for a non-invasive solution to freshening up your skin and enjoying an even skin tone, consider these additional IPL benefits:
- The procedures do not require any anesthetics and sometimes offer near-instant results.
- The painless procedure also does not require any downtime, which means patients can receive their treatment over lunch hour or any other break, resuming regular activities shortly after their appointment.
- IPL treatments can be used to correct and refine your skin.
What are the benefits of an IPL treatment?
IPL treatment is gentle and more customisable than many other skin treatments and can be used to treat:
- Freckles, sunspots and other hyperpigmented areas
- Acne (the light energy destroys bacteria colonising your skin)
- Sun damage and diffuse redness
- Broken capillaries
- Uneven colouring
What are the risks?
There are some common (and indeed, expected) side effects with all IPL rejuvenation procedures:
- Slight swelling
- Initial darkening or your pigmented areas
How many IPL treatments will I need?
We recommend between 1 and 5 sessions to see long-term improvement for most clients.
What happens during IPL treatment?
- A cold gel is applied to the skin which will be treated
- You’ll wear dark glasses to shield your eyes
- Your Medical Esthetician will use the handpiece to treat the entire area
The procedure takes about 20 minutes in total.
Is it painful?
Although there is a definite sensation, there is little or no actual pain.
What should I expect after IPL treatment?
You’ll have a ‘healthy glow’ about you, similar to that produced by a vigorous workout (though you’ve only been sitting down!). Brown spots and pigmented areas will turn darker after the treatment, and the body will then break down the melanin which has been released over the next few weeks.
What precautions should I take after treatment?
Do not sun-bathe for at least three days after your treatment